Would Leon Escalais survive today?

Discussion of historic singers: Francesco Merli, Giuseppe De Luca, Richard Tauber, Conchita Supervía, etc.

Moderator: LaGioconda

Pantenor

Would Leon Escalais survive today?

Postby Pantenor » 08 Mar 2016, 19:58

I was listening to this voice and started wondering: would Leon survive today's world? Would it be the same voice, or do you think he would have to sing so differently that he'd be a different fach, for example?

Jimlejim

Re: Would Leon Escalais survive today?

Postby Jimlejim » 10 Mar 2016, 13:17

I don't see why not.
Tenor freak. :D

TifosoBonisolli

Postby TifosoBonisolli » 11 Mar 2016, 18:18

This is a confusing question... just as if anything was wrong with Escalaïs, of all people!!! - Escalaïs, who was in fact one of the most perfect singers who ever walked the earth. So if you feel that Escalaïs wouldn't fit into our brave new operatic world (I agree that this seems a quite reasonable thought), then the question is not whether he would survive today's operatic culture, but whether today's operatic culture would survive him. I'll say rather not! Oh, how he would dwarf all those wanna-be tenors that grace our stages today...

Pantenor

Postby Pantenor » 11 Mar 2016, 19:14

Would his voice be big enough to be considered heroic today?

shutko

Postby shutko » 11 Mar 2016, 19:26

I agree that he would completely outshine current singing trends, but is that the real reason why he would not 'survive'? Fear that he would hold singing to his own style rather than aiming for modern absolute perfection (impossible)? Also, say he would become the next major tenor, who could duet with him? Certainly no current female singer I'm aware of... he would become a concert singer and those don't fair well currently... :( Although, if I remember correctly, Battistini and others had a similar scenario where they became stars of the operas, making other singers obsolete.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 12 Mar 2016, 00:21

Yes!! I agree completely. In fact, I can't understand why the original question was even raised.

Regards,
Geoff.

Pantenor

Postby Pantenor » 12 Mar 2016, 01:25

His registration seemed pretty light. What category would he belong to today?

Pantenor

Postby Pantenor » 12 Mar 2016, 01:25

shutko wrote:I agree that he would completely outshine current singing trends, but is that the real reason why he would not 'survive'? Fear that he would hold singing to his own style rather than aiming for modern absolute perfection (impossible)? Also, say he would become the next major tenor, who could duet with him? Certainly no current female singer I'm aware of... he would become a concert singer and those don't fair well currently... :( Although, if I remember correctly, Battistini and others had a similar scenario where they became stars of the operas, making other singers obsolete.
A concert singer? Really?

Jimlejim

Postby Jimlejim » 12 Mar 2016, 02:50

He would be like Chris Merrit, but better and on steroids.
Tenor freak. :D

shutko

Postby shutko » 12 Mar 2016, 09:14

Pantenor wrote:
shutko wrote:I agree that he would completely outshine current singing trends, but is that the real reason why he would not 'survive'? Fear that he would hold singing to his own style rather than aiming for modern absolute perfection (impossible)? Also, say he would become the next major tenor, who could duet with him? Certainly no current female singer I'm aware of... he would become a concert singer and those don't fair well currently... :( Although, if I remember correctly, Battistini and others had a similar scenario where they became stars of the operas, making other singers obsolete.
A concert singer? Really?
Depends... I have often heard of many opera houses denying well bred singers because they didn't conform to the modern standards of the opera stage.