Luciano Pavarotti

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Darksoprano

Luciano Pavarotti

Postby Darksoprano » 10 Mar 2016, 12:53

I recently read that he said he was a leggiero voice in a big body. Do you agree? I think this is a more accurate description for Joseph Calleja, not Luciano Pavarotti.

TifosoBonisolli

Re: Luciano Pavarotti

Postby TifosoBonisolli » 11 Mar 2016, 18:07

Of course I agree with Pavarotti's self-assessment, and I'm surprised about so much insight from a singer who was neither known for intelligence nor for modesty. Actually, his repertoire didn't reflect the same insight, and I think everybody who heard him as Cavaradossi or, shudder, as Andrea Chénier, has to agree that he was really a leggero. Of course, type of voice and size of voice are two very different things, and Pavarotti certainly had a large voice - much larger than Calleja, so that's perhaps where the confusion comes from.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 12 Mar 2016, 00:07

Who cares ? For me, Pavarotti was a revelation. He was one of the most superb tenors of his age ( he was actually 3 months younger than myself & I can't sing a note !) and I can forgive him a great deal for his antics, vocally and personally, in his later years because he brought me great enjoyment. I know that he sang things which were unsuited, even wrong for him but in his prime, he was glorious. Could he act? No. Could he sing? You bet he could.

Regards,
Geoff.

Pantenor

Postby Pantenor » 12 Mar 2016, 01:27

TifosoBonisolli wrote:Of course I agree with Pavarotti's self-assessment, and I'm surprised about so much insight from a singer who was neither known for intelligence nor for modesty. Actually, his repertoire didn't reflect the same insight, and I think everybody who heard him as Cavaradossi or, shudder, as Andrea Chénier, has to agree that he was really a leggero. Of course, type of voice and size of voice are two very different things, and Pavarotti certainly had a large voice - much larger than Calleja, so that's perhaps where the confusion comes from.
I heard people insist his voice wasn't large. I don't agree with his self-assessment. He was just a lyric tenor with a pretty timbre and more ring than the average lyric. Absolutely not leggiero.

Trickydicky1

Postby Trickydicky1 » 21 Mar 2016, 15:49

I've been listening to some recordings from his earlier career - as Idamante in Idomeneo and Tebaldo in I Capuletti ed I Montecchi etc, and there is certainly a sweetness and elegance in his voice there which was to some extent lost as his voice got bigger later in his career. I'm not complaining too much - he was an amazing singer in the field of Italian romantic and verismo opera, and certainly didn't abuse his voice in the way that the supremely gifted Di Stefano did. Don't much care for Pavarotti singing in any other language than Italian (or Latin, on occasion) - and certainly not in French.