What's the best voice you've heard live?

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Geoff

Re: What's the best voice you've heard live?

Postby Geoff » 09 Feb 2016, 22:59

Regarding Salvatore Fisichella, - a very approachable tenor and without doubt one on the most beautiful tenor voices of the last 50 years with no fear whatever for the high notes. I am a big admirer of him. Strange that you should mention his probable preference for warm climates as so far as I know, he was very well received in the Northern European countries, Scandinavia and very much so in Finland. He was ignored by the major recording companies, (or maybe he deliberately steered clear of them) which is a travesty. In this, he is not alone. From the few recordings I've gleaned, I would make one small observation. Salvatore tended to sing very, very fractionally ahead of the orchestra. Nevertheless he has still been a superlative tenor and I wish him well.
Regards,
Geoff.

a57se

Postby a57se » 10 Feb 2016, 03:26

Luciano Pavarotti singing Manrico in 1988 at the metropolitan Opera house.
His voice is the most beautiful male voice I have ever heard live or recorded but that night was magical for me.
I will never forget the last Act Duet between Luciano and Dolora Zajick, absolutely captivating.

CVAULT1

Postby CVAULT1 » 21 Feb 2016, 17:24

As to quality of voice, stage presence, & musicianship, Shirley Verrett was a standout. She was a whole orchestra unto herself. I heard two recitals of hers over-the-years, and they were magnificent.

Orestes

Postby Orestes » 21 Feb 2016, 19:22

Not easy - but Bryn Terfel - before he tried Hans Sachs and Wotan was pretty solid.

shutko

Postby shutko » 24 Feb 2016, 19:27

Orestes wrote:Not easy - but Bryn Terfel - before he tried Hans Sachs and Wotan was pretty solid.
I was a fan of Bryn Terfel as an art song artist, he performed english songs very well... it's a shame what has happened to him though, he definitely seems more concerned about his money than his voice.