Ever changed your mind on a singer rec versus live?

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Jimlejim

Ever changed your mind on a singer rec versus live?

Postby Jimlejim » 20 Jan 2016, 16:59

Juan Diego Florez didn't sound as exciting to me on record as he did live. I had heard the voice is small and not that exciting. When I heard him live, I had to disagree. The voice is ringing, carries well enough, and size is as it should be for a leggero tenor. His recordings didn't do much for me before I saw him live. Who else changed their mind about a singer due to hearing them live?
Tenor freak. :D

a57se

Re: Ever changed your mind on a singer rec versus live?

Postby a57se » 20 Jan 2016, 19:27

Placido Domingo for me...
I wasn't a big fan of his voice before one evening while taking a walk along Central Park East when I heard a gorgeous, rich voice emanating from the Pierre Hotel. I went inside and discovered Domingo was singing in a ballroom and it was his voice that had acted like a siren to me.
This was probably in 1995 or thereabouts so it was the mature Domingo I heard live.

Aureliano

Postby Aureliano » 23 Jan 2016, 17:12

Jonas Kaufmann. On recordings one could be mistaken for thinking he swallows the sound or croons too much or overdarkens. In the theatre it is a stunning sound that fills the air with lightning and thunder when he wants it, and sweet honey when he needs it.

LaGioconda

Postby LaGioconda » 02 Feb 2016, 16:40

Calleja for me. Wasn´t really impressed after his first two recitals. Live the voice carries exceptionally well and the narrow vibrato lessens a little in the house, though I don´t mind it in general. Nice warm and expansive sound - though the musical interpreter is a different story....

Jimlejim

Postby Jimlejim » 02 Feb 2016, 18:16

LaGioconda wrote:Calleja for me. Wasn´t really impressed after his first two recitals. Live the voice carries exceptionally well and the narrow vibrato lessens a little in the house, though I don´t mind it in general. Nice warm and expansive sound - though the musical interpreter is a different story....
What do you mean by "though the musical interpreter is a different story"?
Tenor freak. :D

LaGioconda

Postby LaGioconda » 02 Feb 2016, 18:26

Jimlejim wrote:
LaGioconda wrote:Calleja for me. Wasn´t really impressed after his first two recitals. Live the voice carries exceptionally well and the narrow vibrato lessens a little in the house, though I don´t mind it in general. Nice warm and expansive sound - though the musical interpreter is a different story....
What do you mean by "though the musical interpreter is a different story"?
I lilke him a lot as a singer. Clean singing, clean line - almost TOO clean, actually, no squeezing, scooping, no belting, an easy upper range. As an singing interpreter (and I don´t mean the acting) in terms of acting with the voice, or imaginative phrasing, being eloquent, putting a very personal stamp on a role, he still sounds (and there could have been much more growth as an artist in the last years) - excuse me - rather schoolboyish.

Pantenor

Postby Pantenor » 02 Feb 2016, 18:29

LaGioconda wrote:As an singing interpreter (and I don´t mean the acting) in terms of acting with the voice, or imaginative phrasing, being eloquent, putting a very personal stamp on a role, he still sounds (and there could have been much more growth as an artist in the last years) - excuse me - rather schoolboyish.
Quite true...

CVAULT1

Postby CVAULT1 » 05 Feb 2016, 21:48

For me, Ludovic Spiess, was like a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. His studio recordings are really dullsville. Conversely, just about all the live recordings I have of him are excellent. I guess he just needed the spark of a live audience to get his fire started.

TifosoBonisolli

Postby TifosoBonisolli » 12 Feb 2016, 13:28

À propos of Calleja, there is a new thread named "Joseph Calleja" - the recording posted there is like a summary of all Calleja problems. Definitely no "too clear" singing, and some rather awful squeezing, as well...