Tenor Andrew Owens

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Darksoprano

Re: Tenor Andrew Owens

Postby Darksoprano » 31 Jan 2016, 08:16

A hunk. He sings well too! :)

TifosoBonisolli

Postby TifosoBonisolli » 31 Jan 2016, 13:08

Really, I don't want to spoil the party, but I seem to be the only one here who has seen Owens on stage several times. Yes, his voice is capturing the listener immediately (which is not only a question of the voice as a natural gift, but above all a question of voice production and interpretation), he is extraordinarily musical and also very charming on stage.
But. (You've expected that, haven't you?)
But his voice is so extremely tiny that he's never going to sing in a major theater. In size, this is a voice for the Amato Opera, not for the Met. I heard him in two theaters, one small, one tiny. It was fine in the tiny theater, but he was hardly able to fill the small one (although it's a theater famous for its acoustics). Plus he has those problems with his vocal technique that Fisichella immediately identified and worked on. They're not as harmless as everyone seems to think here - Owens is regularly becoming hoarse in the middle of singing. In La Cenerentola, where he was actually very good overall, he would, in his big aria, briefly stop singing, clear his throat very obviously and loudly, go on singing (and finish off with a glorious high D). That's funny in a sense, but it's definitely not what you can do if you're aiming at a major career. And it wasn't an exceptional event - he became hoarse at some moment or another in almost every performance I heard him.

Pantenor

Postby Pantenor » 31 Jan 2016, 13:14

TifosoBonisolli wrote: And it wasn't an exceptional event - he became hoarse at some moment or another in almost every performance I heard him.
Do you think this is because he is oversinging to compensate for a naturally small voice?

TifosoBonisolli

Postby TifosoBonisolli » 31 Jan 2016, 13:31

Pantenor wrote:
Do you think this is because he is oversinging to compensate for a naturally small voice?
I don't think so. He doesn't seem to oversing - his voice is just, the beautiful tone that he's producing notwithstanding, ill-placed in some way.

a57se

Postby a57se » 31 Jan 2016, 15:50

Hoarse? You don't usuaully sing glorious High D's after getting Hoarse.
Clearing ones throat is usually a sign of phlegm in the throat which is REALLY annoying when you are trying to sing, I have seen singers expectorate all over a stage during performances...

Edit: He does push a little too much at times, Fisichella pointed this out in the video and I noticed it in the other video where his vibrato nearly straightened out and his pitch seemed a touch off to my ear.

Aureliano

Postby Aureliano » 31 Jan 2016, 21:17

One of the great tenors of the new generation, and somebody I have had the privilege to hear many times in many different environments, from big house to broom closet, so to speak. Not only is his voice perfectly suitably sized for his leggero repertoire (note: Boheme is not his normal repertoire, but something he was obligated to sing as part of his fest in Vienna), but he has the precision of musicality, style, language and tradition to really distinguish himself from his peers. I will not argue with TifosoBonisolli because I am sure his reading of the times he saw Andrew sing are accurate. Sometimes we are forced to go on stage when we are not in our best health (especially when in these difficult fest situations) and yes, hoarseness happens to us all. In his repertoire, a couple of poor choices here and there and boom, you are in trouble the whole night. It requires astonishing skill to handle the Rossini repertoire. Verismo tenors, on the other hand, have the luxury to be able to brute their way through. This is why careers like Juan Diego should not be scoffed at. He is, simply put, a miracle of a tenor.

In news that keeps getting better and better, I can confirm that Mr. Owens has developed greatly since both these clips were made, and has sharpened even further his tenor blades. The voice is bigger and more reliable and if this is even possible, even more ravishingly beautiful. TifosoBonisolli, if you get the chance to hear him again in the coming years, you should do so, and I trust you will be very happily surprised to see your fears put to rest.

TifosoBonisolli

Postby TifosoBonisolli » 31 Jan 2016, 22:07

Well, as soon as I'll have the chance to hear him again, I'll take it anyway, because even as it was, I really liked his singing. I just cannot imagine him in a major theater - he'd need to multiply his voice by five or six, something that is near-impossible (but not totally, and if he is lucky enough to succeed, I'll be the first to applaud).

Pantenor

Postby Pantenor » 02 Feb 2016, 18:33

Five or six? Sounds like an exaggeration to me. He seems to be a light lyric and in that rep, perfectly audible.

shutko

Postby shutko » 02 Feb 2016, 22:04

Are there any recordings of him singing in performance?

Jimlejim

Postby Jimlejim » 03 Feb 2016, 03:03

I found this
Tenor Andrew Owens sings Ramiro's aria 'Sì, ritrovarla io giuro' in a live performance of Rossini's 'La Cenerentola' from the Wiener Kammeroper in Vienna - November 2013.
Tenor freak. :D