Tenor Andrew Owens

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Aureliano

Re: Tenor Andrew Owens

Postby Aureliano » 05 Feb 2016, 18:59

TifosoBonisolli wrote:Well, as soon as I'll have the chance to hear him again, I'll take it anyway, because even as it was, I really liked his singing. I just cannot imagine him in a major theater - he'd need to multiply his voice by five or six, something that is near-impossible (but not totally, and if he is lucky enough to succeed, I'll be the first to applaud).
That is simply not the truth, I have to say. There must have been some acoustic anomaly when you happened to hear him. He has had great success in quite a number of not-small houses, and has been perfectly acceptable to many of the world's leading conductors, singer colleagues, intendants, and audiences. He currently is singing Leicester in Seattle in their Stuarda and is certainly not the smallest voice in the production. I am not saying he is Gino Penno, but he is simply not a voice that needs to grow in size five or sixfold. That is an untruth.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 06 Feb 2016, 10:02

Well done, in fact very well done. I see that it was recorded 2 yrs & 3 months ago and it's a pity that it was cut before we could hear any audience response. I imagine that there would be whole hearted approval. The quality of live recordings seems to have improved as there were none of the audience participations in the way of coughs, sneezes etc. that inevitably punctuate any performance.
Regards,
Geoff.

Jimlejim

Postby Jimlejim » 06 Feb 2016, 10:45

Bravo to this dude. I would love to hear him live.
Tenor freak. :D

Aureliano

Postby Aureliano » 06 Feb 2016, 20:50

Last year at the Francisco Viñas competition, Andrew won the coveted Zarzuela prize. Alas, he was sick during the finals, and you can hear the voice a little affected by this during his performance, but he won the prize anyhow: and here it is from the stage of the Liceu in Barcelona, with thrilling high C interpolated at the end. Audience response is included which should warm the cockles of Geoff's heart!

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 06 Feb 2016, 22:32

Aureliano : Muchas gracias !!
Regards,
Geoff.

TifosoBonisolli

Postby TifosoBonisolli » 06 Feb 2016, 23:06

Aureliano - you almost seem to be mentoring Owens, or at least to know him personally, so may I ask you something? It's really kind of bizarre that I seem to have been seen, on this thread, as the one who is against Owens; the opposite is true, he is actually one of the new tenors whom I liked best in the last few years, his secure top, his beautiful tone (and timbre), and above all his musicality. I even tried, a few years ago, and without having ever talked to him personally or to his management, to recommend him for a beautiful, mostly lyrical Verdi lead role (in an appropriately small but interesting venue); unfortunately, he wasn't considered by the person in charge who preferred to hire a (very) seasoned, (very) dramatic tenor for the role. So I hope you see that I'm really not Owens' enemy... I just seriously fear that he may be yet one more singer run into the ground by over-ambitious managers, teachers, advisors, or his own ambitions. I swear his is one of the smallest voices that I've ever heard in a leading role; if it has changed meanwhile, all the better (and it seems so, both because you say so and because he succeeded, for example, at the Liceu), but it will, by all probability, never be a large voice. (Just to make that clear, I heard him sing a small role in a performance where Lawrence Brownlee sang the leading tenor part; Brownlee has in fact a small voice, too, but he sounded much like Lauritz Melchior in direct comparison.) And I've just seen too many promising lyrical voices perish in no time because they were pushed (or pushed themselves) into singing either too heavy roles or in too large venues. Just think of Torsten Kerl, William Matteuzzi, Julia Novikova. Or think of those who didn't perish, but damaged their reputation by delivering performances way below their standard when singing in too large theaters (Adolf Dallapozza is a good example, who was one of the very best tenors of his generation - as long as he sang in small theaters).
Bottom line: Aureliano, if you have any influence on Owens, try to protect him from going that way. Caesar's motto that he'd rather be the first man in a small mountain village than the second man in Rome goes a long way also and especially for singers. Thank you.

Aureliano

Postby Aureliano » 07 Feb 2016, 19:07

Valid points, TifosoBonisolli. I didn't mean to demonize you or your opinion. My apologies if my choice of language came across unduly critical. Your point of view on this issue has tremendous merit, and I concur wholeheartedly not to push singers into repertoire above their natural endowments. This is excellent advice for all leggero voices. Indeed excellent advice for all voices in general.

aulusagerius

Postby aulusagerius » 27 Feb 2016, 22:37

Andrew Owens is scheduled to sing the title role in Aureliano in Palmira at Caramoor NY July 16th - one performance only, along with Georgia Jarman and Tamara Mumford. I was hoping for Bogdan Mihai and never heard of Owens so I decided not to even consider it. Now this conversation changes my mind a bit.
I see that he will be singing Leicester in Maria Stuarda for a couple of performances in Seattle starting tomorrow. He'll almost have to better than the tenor in last week's NY Met broadcast - one Celso or something like that......a tenor from Canary Islands iirc. Not fun to listen to. Owens is also singing Almaviva in Barbieri in Raleigh North Carolina for a couple of performances next month. This is somewhat accessible from where I am (central Virginia) but the rest of the cast poses no temptation and I have no desire to see Barbier again. :D

SO SHOULD I MAKE THE TREK TO CARAMOOR :?: :?: :?:

shutko

Postby shutko » 29 Feb 2016, 19:03

aulusagerius wrote:Andrew Owens is scheduled to sing the title role in Aureliano in Palmira at Caramoor NY July 16th - one performance only, along with Georgia Jarman and Tamara Mumford. I was hoping for Bogdan Mihai and never heard of Owens so I decided not to even consider it. Now this conversation changes my mind a bit.
I see that he will be singing Leicester in Maria Stuarda for a couple of performances in Seattle starting tomorrow. He'll almost have to better than the tenor in last week's NY Met broadcast - one Celso or something like that......a tenor from Canary Islands iirc. Not fun to listen to. Owens is also singing Almaviva in Barbieri in Raleigh North Carolina for a couple of performances next month. This is somewhat accessible from where I am (central Virginia) but the rest of the cast poses no temptation and I have no desire to see Barbier again. :D

SO SHOULD I MAKE THE TREK TO CARAMOOR :?: :?: :?:
Going to a barbiere just for the tenor might not be worth the time... while I would not, it is entirely up to you :D :D

aulusagerius

Postby aulusagerius » 02 Mar 2016, 14:36

The small voice debate goes on. Here's a quote from the Seattle Times review of Sunday's Maria Stuarda:

"Her Leicester, Andrew Owens, initially sounded a bit underpowered, but he brought a touching urgency to his scenes with El-Khoury’s Mary."

On the other hand, the same reviewer lavished praise on Saturday night's Leicester, John Tessier.