Tenor Andrew Owens

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
aulusagerius

Re: Tenor Andrew Owens

Post by aulusagerius »

Further review of Seattle Leicester performance last Sunday:

"Lyric tenor Andrew Owens was a creditable Earl of Leicester, whose empathy for the plight of the doomed Mary, led him to a dangerous crisis in his relations with the English Queen."

Not one word about his singing which mainly says to me there wasn't much to say! This part must be deceptively difficult - I believe even Pavarotti had trouble with it. Nonetheless, it does not bode well for Rossini's Aureliano in a few months which is a very difficult part. In the last few days I've listened to performances of Spyres and Mihai trying to sing it, both to measured success. I think I prefer Mihai. I am getting to appreciate the opera a lot more though! :idea:

Aureliano

Post by Aureliano »

If you go here: https://soundcloud.com/seattle-opera/sets/maria-stuarda

You will here many excerpts from the performances.

You can hear Owens (I especially recommend the love duet), and indeed you can listen to Tessier.

aulusagerius

Post by aulusagerius »

Wow! That's fantastic, Aureliano! Thank you very much. Well, I like his sound quite a bit. Based on these very short clips it does sound like his top is brilliantly exciting but below a certain point in his voice he does tend to become inaudible. I sure don't care for El-Khoury here - kind of strident and quavery....a little like Radvanovsky.

Da tutti abandonata and Era d'amor l'imagine are 2 of the loveliest melodies Donizetti came up with imo. :D

Aureliano

Post by Aureliano »

I will refrain from being too complimentary as my bias has been shown earlier in this thread. I will say this however, if the reviewers had nice things to say about Tessier and not for Owens, based solely on these samples Seattle Opera has provided, I have to wonder what kind of hallucinogenic those critics were smoking. I can only guess the kind of drug that makes one unable to detect white sound.

shutko

Post by shutko »

The Maria sounds quite unaware of herself or what she's saying in these performances.

Pantenor

Post by Pantenor »

All I know is, this guy will go far.

aulusagerius

Post by aulusagerius »

Apparently he didn't do all that well in a breakout opportunity in the US; in a review on Parterre.com, John Yohalem says in the 15th paragraph [next to last!] of his review of Aureliano in Palmira at Caramoor NY that "Andrew Owens, who sang the title role, has a very pleasing tenor and a forthright delivery, but the voice is too small for so heroic a role as the amorously frustrated Roman emperor. He could always be heard clearly, and the sound was enjoyable, but it faded in contest with the ladies. In the circumstances, all too naturally, he began to push it and ran out of steam in his final aria." I guess he wasn't miked strongly enough according to Tifosobonisolli :?

And he's got a lot of competition. I can think of Spyres, Angelini, Mihai as current young singers I'd rather hear in the role not to mention Florez, Brownlee, Manucharyan or even Osborn.