Most beautiful obscure voice?

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Jimlejim

Re: Most beautiful obscure voice?

Postby Jimlejim » 06 Jan 2016, 18:32

shutko wrote:Louis Cazette was once an opera-comique tenor long ago. A very pretty lyric tenor...
Quite pretty indeed. Reminds me of Gérard Souzay (who wasn't a tenor, of course!)...
Tenor freak. :D

LaGioconda

Postby LaGioconda » 07 Jan 2016, 12:47

shutko wrote:Louis Cazette was once an opera-comique tenor long ago. A very pretty lyric tenor...
I love Cazette. Great tenor who died very young. Exceptional voice and refined singing.
Try also Tosti´s "Pour un baiser"
[YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig9iPQoidDI][/YouTube]

rxpfrl

Postby rxpfrl » 07 Jan 2016, 16:10

While I feel that it is unfair to use the term "most beautiful", I would say that my choice would be GAINNI RAIMONDI

shutko

Postby shutko » 07 Jan 2016, 17:20

LaGioconda wrote:
I love Cazette. Great tenor who died very young. Exceptional voice and refined singing.
Try also Tosti´s "Pour un baiser"
[YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig9iPQoidDI][/YouTube]
I recently read on Marston records about how he was killed. A very tragic death, it's a shame... he could've made some great records and let many more people hear his art had he lived a bit longer.

TifosoBonisolli

Postby TifosoBonisolli » 08 Jan 2016, 11:50

Further "beautiful" tenors that I've omitted from my original list: Luigi Fort, Tomaz Alcaide (another example that it's a long way from a beautiful voice to a great singer), Georgij Vinogradov (one more artist who is certainly not obscure in the former USSR, but far less than well-known anywhere else)... and if even Gianni Raimondi counts as a singer "that barely anyone knows", I shouldn't take for granted that Kálmán Pataky is an obvious name.

Having recovered from tenor fatigue, I'll extend the discussion to (not so very obvious) basses, this time in alphabetical order:
Raphael Arië, Paul Aumonier, Pierre d'Assy, Pierre Dupré, Walter Fink, Boris Gmyria, please don't tell me that even Vilém Heš (aka Wilhelm Hesch) counts as an "obscure" singer nowadays, Albert Huberty, André Huc-Santana, Vladimir Kastorskij, Endre Koréh, Adolf Lieban, José Mardones (same remark as for Heš), Malcolm McEachern, Janusz Monarcha (remember, we're exclusively talking about beautiful timbres here, not about excellent singers), Louis Morturier, Armand Narçon, Francesco Navarini, André Pernet, Grigorij (!! - not Aleksandr, that is) Pirogov, László Polgár, Konstantin Sfiris, Wilhelm Strienz (obscure? not quite), Mihály Székely, Jean-Émile Vanni-Marcoux, Paolo Wulman. My personal favorite from this list as far as vocal beauty: d'Assy.

Final remark: I'm not willing to believe that anybody might consider Peter Dawson, Pol Plançon or Lev Sibiriakov obscure singers, but if so, they had of course to be on the list.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 09 Jan 2016, 17:48

It seems as though we are sticking to tenors for the moment. During the first 50 to 60 years of recording, singers have fared quite well although what future generations of opera fans will do I don't know, as the recording industry is certainly not recording vocal artists as prolifically as it once did. However, in the spirit of bringing to notice 'obscure' voices, here are one or two more certainly worthy of attention:
Tino Folgar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn0pFv6R50I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimDriK4SYA
Tom Burke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQ1upHF_Z8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgCNz7JtCvA (a real character - - well worth reading about. A tenor who was successful at home and
the U.S., he made fortunes and lost them. He upset the operatic
establishment once too often.
Thank goodness for youtube , eh ?

Geoff.

TifosoBonisolli

Postby TifosoBonisolli » 10 Jan 2016, 15:46

Next installment: beautifully timbred, less than well-known sopranos, in alphabetical order. (Certainly far more incomplete than my tenor and bass lists - I'm not a dedicated soprano collector.)
Pierrette Alarie, Berthe Auguez de Montalant, Ksenija (Xenia) Belmas, Leila Ben-Sédira, Emmy Bettendorf, Maria Bieșu, Olimpia Boronat (not quite obscure, ok), Géori Boué, Hariclea Darclée, Cécile Eyreams, Grete Forst (always bear in mind that we're only talking about timbre here), Aida Garifullina, Eva Hadrabová, Hilde Konetzni, Erika Köth (not quite obscure, but just so as to be on the safe side), Germaine Lubin, Cathérine Mastio, Medea Mei-Figner, Eidé Norena, Clara Petrella, Gabrielle Ritter-Ciampi, Giannina Russ, Helena (Zboińska-)Ruszkowska, Sara Scuderi, Teresa Stich-Randall (for how many people will she be obscure?), Paula Takács, Amélie Talexis, Elsa Wieber. My personal favorite as far as timbre here: Mei-Figner.

Trickydicky1

Postby Trickydicky1 » 21 Mar 2016, 16:17

oddjobman wrote:It's an unfair world. Artists whose career coincided with some internationally well received singers with recording
Another name that sprung to mind is the Russian lyrical tenor Sergei Lemeshev
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJfmqkWeTOw
his beautiful voice and technique is every bit as good as his contemporary in the west, but he spent his career in USSR and is not generally known in the west
I agree entirely - but only on the basis of one CD of his recordings that I picked up. The beauty of his light lyric voice is undeniable, and he had a ringing top to his voice. The arias on the CD are a varied bunch - all in Russian, though translated from French, Italian and German in some instances. Hearing "Ecco ridente in cielo" in Russian sounds a bit weird, and this aria is perhaps the least successful of the compilation - he tends to blur and swoop through the coloratura. But the version of the tenor aria in Thomas "Mignon" is seductively sweet.

Trickydicky1

Postby Trickydicky1 » 21 Mar 2016, 16:29

TifosoBonisolli wrote: Teresa Stich-Randall (for how many people will she be obscure?)
Ah yes - for me the ideal lyric soprano voice. First heard her on a recording of Haydn's "Creation" - she certainly outclassed the soprano singing "Eve" - but then Eve was only a supposedly perfect woman, whereas Stich-Randall was singing the Archangel Gabriel.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 22 Mar 2016, 00:03

Just to add to the mix, here is a tenor I much admire although little is known of his professional career. He made a number of recordings and he was known as the 'pocket Caruso' because of his diminuative size (barely 5 ft, if that)

Greek tenor Costa Milona, recorded 8th July, 1924. "Deserto in terra"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw9cPU9BpHg

Regards,
Geoff.