Krunoslav Gigoj 30.03.1949 to 27.08.2015

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Geoff

Krunoslav Gigoj 30.03.1949 to 27.08.2015

Postby Geoff » 23 Feb 2016, 23:52

I was saddened to hear about the passing of Croatian tenor Krunoslav Cigoj. When he was 19 years old while still a student in 1967, he was persuaded to make a number of recordings for a minor Italian recording company which were released under the title of 'The world's youngest tenor'. Initially they may sound as though they were recorded in concert but there is every reason to think that the applause was canned, not that it matters a jot. I have quite a few of his recordings. Kruno made his operatic debut ten years later in 'Don Pasquale' in Zagreb. He went on to have an international career which was interrupted when he was diagnosed with leukemia, I believe. if anyone knows differently then please let me know. Eventually, he made a recovery and returned to his native Croatia where he was immensely popular with his own TV series. Latterly he was a diplomat in Sarajevo. Some years ago I corresponded briefly with Kruno with the intention of writing an article about him. Unfortunately I never succeeded in receiving such information
that I needed although I found him to be co-operative but rather self-effacing and too modest to a point. I found him to be easy-going,with a warm,sunny personality and a million friends. I have an affectionate and high regard for him. Comments please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvYnkK7x3PQ
Regards,
Geoff