Modern Singing vs. Oldschool Singing - Direct confrontation

Forum for singers about singing life, career and singing technique: management, taxes, auditions, appoggio, covering, messa di voce, placement, registers, etc.
Jimlejim

Modern Singing vs. Oldschool Singing - Direct confrontation

Postby Jimlejim » 19 May 2016, 06:52

Tenor freak. :D

Geoff

Re: Modern Singing vs. Oldschool Singing - Direct confrontation

Postby Geoff » 19 May 2016, 23:04

Well done Jim. You certainly put a lot of time and effort into the most enjoyable half hour I've spent in a long time. Thank you ! I take your point and I'm sure that others will too. If we had the time and the opportunity to sit down and discuss everything over a pot of whisky or so, I'm sure it would be interesting. For instance; Florez v. Filippeschi: The latter (whose timbre I don't particularly like) could belt out the high C's all day but could never in a million years match Florez for coloratura. We could go on and on couldn't we? Once again thank you.
Regards,
Geoff.

Darksoprano

Postby Darksoprano » 10 Jun 2016, 14:55

The comparisons are not fair. Some modern singers' off nights are included or repertory they barely touched, while for the oldschool examples some of the best renditions ever are used. The maker of this video has an agenda.

Pantenor

Postby Pantenor » 29 Jun 2016, 20:59

What we need now, is someone who is biased towards modern singing to make a video.. and see their selections. :D

antfreire

Postby antfreire » 12 Jul 2017, 19:37

When we say "Old School Singing" we are covering several generations of singers and times when there were many more opera shows than today. If we look for pearls in a thousand oysters we will have a better chance of finding some than if we look for pearls in ten oysters.