Started singing again

Forum for singers about singing life, career and singing technique: management, taxes, auditions, appoggio, covering, messa di voce, placement, registers, etc.
arbiro

Started singing again

Postby arbiro » 10 Jan 2016, 11:01

Any feedback, tips and tricks ? 27 years old right now, have studied for a while but took a huge break and I'm now kind of starting back.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/85rw6jd93631n ... 1.mp3?dl=0

Lambert

Re: Started singing again

Postby Lambert » 11 Jan 2016, 21:07

I'm not a singer but it sounds to me like you're not singing with your real voice.

arbiro

Postby arbiro » 20 Jan 2016, 15:54

Hey, thanks for the feedback, I suspected that. Any tips on how to find a closer to natural voice?
Is this better ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74cTuMM6q04 - 3 years ago.
Thanks.

a57se

Postby a57se » 20 Jan 2016, 19:34

The youtube singing was better, for sure. You seem to disconnect sometimes in the passagio. The high note at the end was good. It had some depth to it and you didn't disconnect.
You have a nice voice that is definitely worth developing.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » 21 Jan 2016, 22:00

This performance is much better. You need to relax your voice more.

Aureliano

Postby Aureliano » 23 Jan 2016, 16:50

I would advise trying to be very precise about the musicality. Stay on the correct pitches/vowels for as long as you can without sliding down to the next note. Portamento is not only important, it is necessary, but be specific about it. It seems very random when you sing. The music is more approximated and just "felt". I would advise being precise with your musicality and it will reveal the technical aspects you need to work on. I applaud singing mainly Neapolitan song as it is a wonderful way to build the structure of your singing without delving into difficult arias (that you may ruin for life by polluting them with bad muscle memory).

absoluely yes. I have to say I like the first recording here the Tu ca nu chiagne best. Sounds a little "made" and a bit too much pressure, but has a nice ring. Finding the right balance for singing ON the breath and neither push on it nor sound "breathy" sure is a hell of a difficult thing. Also I´d stick more to Tosti songs than to neapolitan ones - they have a better form which requires more musical discipline without being too operistic - in a comfortable tessitura to not push too much in in the passaggio area.

Aureliano

Postby Aureliano » 23 Jan 2016, 16:57

And my one technical advice for now is breath management. To my eyes and ears, you are lackadaisical with how you treat your breath. There are many different approaches to singing, and quite a number of those actually work!, but for my money I would suggest very deep deliberate air intake and then buoyantly suspending this air beneath the cords. There must be a very careful, but pliable, subglottal base of breath support. The cords will function as they do, hopefully very sealed but without insisting too much on this mechanically, and the voice should be allowed to strike forward and high as it pleases. I get the sense when watching and listening that you are relaxing this breath management process such that the breath passes the cords too enthusiastically, and the result is a looseness of sound and sometimes a fluttery one. A simple thought may be this "don't put air where the voice should be". In other words, give yourself the mental instruction/intent that from the point of the vocal cords upwards it is only sound that makes the air vibrate, not air.

arbiro

Postby arbiro » 25 Mar 2016, 10:35

Started studying again, how does this sound to you guys? I feel like it's way more natural. I'm trying to go back to what I think my former maestro was trying to teach me. I'm vocalizing a bit then singing mamma in fa cause I don't feel like actually singing in the passagio yet.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2pi2s9nh0cym ... s.mp3?dl=0

LaGioconda

Postby LaGioconda » 28 Mar 2016, 13:33

Aureliano wrote:I would advise trying to be very precise about the musicality. Stay on the correct pitches/vowels for as long as you can without sliding down to the next note. Portamento is not only important, it is necessary, but be specific about it. It seems very random when you sing. The music is more approximated and just "felt". I would advise being precise with your musicality and it will reveal the technical aspects you need to work on. I applaud singing mainly Neapolitan song as it is a wonderful way to build the structure of your singing without delving into difficult arias (that you may ruin for life by polluting them with bad muscle memory).

absoluely yes. I have to say I like the first recording here the Tu ca nu chiagne best. Sounds a little "made" and a bit too much pressure, but has a nice ring. Finding the right balance for singing ON the breath and neither push on it nor sound "breathy" sure is a hell of a difficult thing. Also I´d stick more to Tosti songs than to neapolitan ones - they have a better form which requires more musical discipline without being too operistic - in a comfortable tessitura to not push too much in in the passaggio area.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » 29 Mar 2016, 11:12

The last recording you posted sounds better. More natural. You need to relax and sing with your real voice.