Modern operas

Discussion of all things opera: Wagner, Verdi, Toscanini, Zeffirelli, prelude, leitmotif, Regietheater, etc.
Jimlejim

Modern operas

Postby Jimlejim » 05 Jan 2016, 14:01

Another thing I rarely hear anyone talking about: operas composed after, say, 1950. Does anyone like or love operas composed in the last 70 years or so? Are there great, underrated modern operas out there?
Tenor freak. :D

shutko

Re: Modern operas

Postby shutko » 05 Jan 2016, 18:35

Hmmm the one that comes to mind that has received good reviews is Adès' The Tempest, as well as the Birtwhistle operas that keep popping up.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » 05 Jan 2016, 19:12

This is probably narrow minded of me, but I simply ignore modern operas. I listened to a few and found them boring. Born in the wrong era.

CVAULT1

Postby CVAULT1 » 05 Jan 2016, 19:30

The operas of Thomas Pasatieri & Carlisle Floyd are pretty decent.

Orestes

Postby Orestes » 05 Jan 2016, 21:03

George Benjamin has written a pretty decent opera, Written on Skin. Gripping female protagonist et all.
A must see for everyone, I would say.

Pantenor

Postby Pantenor » 07 Jan 2016, 20:40

Modern operas suck. It's that simple.

shutko

Postby shutko » 07 Jan 2016, 21:51

They definitely focus more on the composer and less on the singers, not that that is a bad thing. We don't really need another Verdi opera... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 07 Jan 2016, 22:51

On the question of whether or not we need another Verdi, I hope you will pardon me if I disagree. My view is that wedesperately need another Verdi but his day is over, it just isn't going to happen, is it ?

On the question of modern opera, as an old friend of mine remarked on the old Grandi-Tenori site, " when things get atonal, I'm outta here." (or something like that).
Regards,
Geoff

shutko

Postby shutko » 07 Jan 2016, 23:04

Geoff wrote:On the question of whether or not we need another Verdi, I hope you will pardon me if I disagree. My view is that wedesperately need another Verdi but his day is over, it just isn't going to happen, is it ?

On the question of modern opera, as an old friend of mine remarked on the old Grandi-Tenori site, " when things get atonal, I'm outta here." (or something like that).
Regards,
Geoff
Either argument could suffice. I guess I'm still waiting until a reform of singers, then maybe we will have another Verdi... Of course we would need another Boito as well ;) ;) ;)

superhorn

Postby superhorn » 22 Jan 2016, 18:44

There have been so many notable operas written from around the mid 20th century to the present day . For example, St. Francis D'Assise of Messiaen, his only opera, Lear , based on Shakespeare by Aribert Reimann, Barber's Antony and Cleopatra , very underrated despite the negative critical reaction at the opening of the new Met 50 years ago, Life With an Idiot by Alfred Schnittke, Nixon in China,
The Death of Klinghoffer and Doctor Atomic by John Adams, Satyagraha by Philip Glass , Ainadamar by Argentinian composer Osvaldo Golijov , The Devils of Loudon by Penderecki , Henze's Der Junge Lord, Death in Venice by Britten, The Midsummer Marriage by Sir Michael Tippett, The Handmaid's Tale by Danish composer Poul Ruders, based on the novel by Margaret Atwood , Moby Dick by Jake Heggie,
The Ghosts of Versailles by John Corigliano, The Tempest and Powder Her Face by Thomas Ades , Brokeback Mountain by Charles Wuorinen (Yes, a 12 tone cowboy opera ! ) , A Streetcar Named Desire by Andre Previn , to name only some .
Anyone who says that opera is no longer a living art form is dead wrong !