Modern operas

Discussion of all things opera: Wagner, Verdi, Toscanini, Zeffirelli, prelude, leitmotif, Regietheater, etc.
a57se

Re: Modern operas

Post by a57se »

I guess 1945 predates your view of the 'modern opera' era but I always thought of Peter Grimes as a 'modern' opera and it is a favorite of mine.

Geoff

Re: Modern operas

Post by Geoff »

I suppose that I'm a dinosaur when it comes to the composers you've mentioned.
Let me put it this way - are these 'modern' operas here to stay ? There may be one or two exceptions but I think not.
Now Mozart, Verdi, Puccini, Bizet, Mascagni, Leoncavallo, Giordano, plus a number of Eastern European composers are certainly here to stay but such names are names of the live[/b ]theatre; pre-radio, TV etc. In their day there was nothing else - they were the bees knees and they were good at it which is why their popularity (to us) remains as it is. Today on TV, in the name of music, we are bombarded with such screaming inanities as 'The voice', 'the X factor','Britain's (substitute America, Europe, Australia) got talent' - absolute rubbish which BTW, my wife thinks are terrific, but there you are. Let's face it, we're in the minority. Pardon me while I shed a tear into my whisky !!

Regards,
Geoff.