Top 3 over-exposed arias

Discussion of all things opera: Wagner, Verdi, Toscanini, Zeffirelli, prelude, leitmotif, Regietheater, etc.
Jimlejim

Top 3 over-exposed arias

Postby Jimlejim » 20 Nov 2016, 14:22

1. Nessun Dorma
2. La donna e mobile
3. O mio babbino caro

I am so bored with these arias. What is your top 3?
Tenor freak. :D

Geoff

Re: Top 3 over-exposed arias

Postby Geoff » 21 Nov 2016, 17:51

Hm, yes, I suppose they are over-exposed but for me, it's not the arias themselves so much as the vastly overrated incompetents who insist on singing them on various talent (if that's the right word) shows etc., to rapturous applause. It can be a bit irritating even when top class voices include them in concert but I suppose that it's because the majority of audiences expect them. We have to remember that most of them have only a passing interest in opera per se. The concerts seem to be more of a social occasion. When you mention 'what are the top 3 ?', if you mean hates, then I don't think I have any. If you mean top 3 favourites then perhaps I could offer these three for starters:
Tenor: Eugene Onegin: Lensky's aria (Wunderlich 1962 in German - 'wohin, wohin'.)
Baritone: Queen of Spades: 'Ja vas lyublyu' (Hvorostovsky 1989 -Cardiff Singer of the World.)
Soprano: La Sonnambula - 'Ah! Non giunge.' (Luba Orgonasova, 1992).
Regards,
Geoff.

TifosoBonisolli

Postby TifosoBonisolli » 24 Nov 2016, 12:32

1. Libiamo, libiamo
2. Libiamo, libiamo
3. Libiamo, libiamo

No concert with more than one singer involved can do without "Libiamo, libiamo". Everybody is singing it, bassos, baritones, mezzo-sopranos... just as if there was no other imaginable encore in all operatic literature.

Darksoprano

Postby Darksoprano » 25 Nov 2016, 12:22

TifosoBonisolli wrote:1. Libiamo, libiamo
2. Libiamo, libiamo
3. Libiamo, libiamo

No concert with more than one singer involved can do without "Libiamo, libiamo". Everybody is singing it, bassos, baritones, mezzo-sopranos... just as if there was no other imaginable encore in all operatic literature.
Seconded!

Jim

Postby Jim » 26 Nov 2016, 10:46

Libiamo, Libiamo, yes definitely.
Nasty Doormat (Nessun..), quite.
O mio babbino, agreed.

La Donna e mobile not so much now but in the past yes.

A few others for me are;
Quando me n'vo,
Largo al factotem,
Una furtiva lagrima.

I like your choice of favourites Geoff except I am not familiar with the Queen of Spades, a lack I intend to remedy.

I must admit that I am not bored with any of the arias listed here, indeed I like them all. However, some are definitely overused.

Jim

LaGioconda

Postby LaGioconda » 02 May 2017, 19:03

agree. Definitely Nessun dorma and the Traviata brindisi.

Orestes

Postby Orestes » 15 Jul 2017, 14:55

The "Libiamo" is dreadful to hear separated from the opera, in concert form, where five or six singers shares the lines but there are worse, in my opinion.

1 Song to the moon from Dvorak's Rusalka.
Every 25 year old soprano who labels themselves as future dramatic sopranos are singing this. It's merely a "filler" in concert.
2 Voi che sapete from Le nozze di Figaro
This can be sung by anyone.
3 E lucevan le stelle from Tosca
Very grateful aria. But over-used.