Beyond tradition

Discussion of all things opera: Wagner, Verdi, Toscanini, Zeffirelli, prelude, leitmotif, Regietheater, etc.
Lambert

Beyond tradition

Post by Lambert »

Opera companies have been trying to modernize opera for decades now. It's hit and miss, as far as I can tell. Who here has enjoyed operas that are radically different from the intended setting?

This is from the MET's Rigoletto that is set in Las Vegas.

oddjobman

Re: Beyond tradition

Post by oddjobman »

The Euro thrush contagion has cross the Atlantic

LaGioconda

Post by LaGioconda »

Dreadful. I am always standing room up at the "loggione" where you get a good impression of the singers, but don´t have a good view. Fortunately - one must say for large part of the new productions....

shutko

Post by shutko »

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if his interpretation was better? ;)

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I watched the Met. production of Rigoletto set in Las Vegas on T.V. (Which lunatic thought that one up ?) Quite simply, it was awful. The singing wasn't much better.

In contrast, I also watched the Covent Garden production of Andrea Chenier. I see that it is reviewed elsewhere in O.V. The staging was terrific and in period although I'm bound to say that Kaufmann isn't really my cup of tea and Eva-Maria Westbroek was overwhelmingly powerful. Still, overall it has attracted good reviews and it was compelling viewing.

Regards,
Geoff.

LaGioconda

Post by LaGioconda »

Geoff wrote: In contrast, I also watched the Covent Garden production of Andrea Chenier. I see that it is reviewed elsewhere in O.V. The staging was terrific and in period although I'm bound to say that Kaufmann isn't really my cup of tea and Eva-Maria Westbroek was overwhelmingly powerful.
saw it at the cinema. Was the best I ever heard from Kaufmann. I found Westbroek so-so, Lucic crude and loud as usual. Also featured an exceptionally good Incroyable and Madelon. Great production!

Pantenor

Post by Pantenor »

That Vegas production is terrible. Over the top.