What are your favorite opera endings?

Discussion of all things opera: Wagner, Verdi, Toscanini, Zeffirelli, prelude, leitmotif, Regietheater, etc.
Jimlejim

What are your favorite opera endings?

Post by Jimlejim »

My very favorite is Puccini's Boheme. It makes me sad, but I love it.

Tenor freak. :D

TifosoBonisolli

Re: What are your favorite opera endings?

Post by TifosoBonisolli »

La Bohème is a good one, no doubt. I'd also like to nominate La Traviata, Rigoletto, Luisa Miller, Jevgenij Onegin - and my favorite is perhaps Simon Boccanegra.

a57se

Post by a57se »

Being a Tenor, I love the "Vicino a Te' from Chenier and the trio/duet from the end of Aida....

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Talking about opera endings, the conclusion of Andrea Chenier has to be one of the most dramatic. 'Vicino a te' is a full blooded duet in the finest of operatic tradition and when it is delivered here by Richard Tucker (not normally a particular favourite of mine) and Mary Curtis-Verna ( a much underrated dramatic soprano in an era full of them who is a favourite) then it doesn't get much better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDnWe700k_w

Regards,
Geoff.

LaGioconda

Post by LaGioconda »

Boccanegra, is beautiful. yes! I also like very much both the Aida and Forza ending - especially Pinza´s "salita a Dio".

shutko

Post by shutko »

I very much enjoy the ending in Lucia di Lammermoor... the tenor aria that trades with the orchestra is beautiful.

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Please excuse me for posting again, but this is an intriguing thread. Can I mention Verdi's 'Otello' ? This was to have been Verdi's final opera (it wasn't of course) and the finale is monumental. There have been many memorable Otellos but for 'niun mi tema' my favourites are (a) Ramon Vinay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFrpm2oOBZ4 and (b) Giuseppe Giacomini https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwOjKM9VjYk
Please forgive me if I have not mentioned so many other memorable 'Otellos'

Regards,
Geoff.

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I know, I'm hogging this thread, but after this, I'll go away. I just can't resist - how about the end to Rossini's 'Barber of Seville.' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfQCLqLOerM ?? Super stuff, super singers.

Regards,
Geoff.

Jim

Post by Jim »

For me, for gut-wrenching drama it has to be Rigoletto and I particularly like the ending with Giuseppe Taddei although his Gilda in my recording was a bit past it.
Jim

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I suspect that the Gilda in this recording could have been Lina Pagliughi who was reaching her 'sell-by' date at the time while Taddei was indeed superb. I remember buying the Cetra LP set in 1954, I think, and the sound was terrible. However the very much overhauled sound re-issued on Cetra CD a few years ago now ( remember, a 'few' years to me, is almost a lifetime to some of you ladies and gents). The Duke in this recording was Ferruccio Tagliavini and it's a performance that can still hold its own with the rest. Don't be afraid to buy it, download it or whatever.

I suppose that the ultimate opera ending has to be Pagliacci ('La comedia e finita') and for me it just has to be the 1953 version with Callas and Di Stefano. Di Stefano's "il nome!" is chillingly threatening.

Oh well!

Regards,
Geoff.