ClassicFM's "Best Nessun Dorma" - a joke?

Discussion of all things opera: Wagner, Verdi, Toscanini, Zeffirelli, prelude, leitmotif, Regietheater, etc.
Jimlejim

ClassicFM's "Best Nessun Dorma" - a joke?

Postby Jimlejim » 18 Jan 2016, 17:12

This is the list:

Joseph Calleja
Placido Domingo
Mario Lanza
Andrea Bocelli
Jussi Björling
Franco Corelli
Beniamino Gigli
José Carreras
Francesco Merli
Luciano Pavarotti

Am I an asshole for finding this ridiculous? Friends tell me Domingo's high note was spliced. Over half of these tenors are not the right fach. Joseph Calleja is a fine lyric tenor, but number one on a list of best Nessun Dorma's? ClassicFM is just a pop classical website, I guess...but do they have to be this silly? Calleja, Domingo, Lanza, BOCELLI...and THEN Björling and Corelli? What a joke. :roll:

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/pucc ... 6gJL7J5.97[/url]
Tenor freak. :D

CVAULT1

Re: ClassicFM's "Best Nessun Dorma" - a joke?

Postby CVAULT1 » 19 Jan 2016, 16:42

I'd have to agree that this is a rather strange array. Bjoerling & Corelli belong in the group; Pavarotti's commercial, complete recording is his best. Many other times he slops through it, and doesn't sing the right note values. Di Stefano, even though he probably should have passed on the role, was a great Calaf. He sang the aria with style, and with the note values correct. You have to remember that nowadays everything is judged by pop media. Unfortunately the U.S. is a nation of musical morons...everything has to be pop oriented, or it doesn't exist. Thus, some of the names on the list.

Jimlejim

Postby Jimlejim » 19 Jan 2016, 18:08

Some of these lyrics tenors can sing arias in concert, no problem. Putting them atop a list of best renditions ever is a whole other matter.
Tenor freak. :D

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 19 Jan 2016, 23:59

As far as I know, Antonio Cortis (1929) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIi4kJTx1uk is the only recorded tenor to sing "nessun dorma" as written by Puccini i.e. without the final note held from here to eternity although (a) Puccini would probably have wished to have written it that way and (b) any tenor these days who sang it as written would probably be howled off the stage by audiences feeling that they had been cheated. As for Classic FM's list, oh well.....whatever rattles your cage.
Regards,
Geoff.

oddjobman

Postby oddjobman » 20 Jan 2016, 02:11

Be thankful that they don't include Phil Potts in the list :D :D
Jokes apart, here is one nessun dorma that I enjoy by an underrated tenor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=944jq4AKKrs

Aureliano

Postby Aureliano » 23 Jan 2016, 17:27

Geoff, my namesake, Pertile, also sings the aria as written by Puccini.
And if my memory serves me correctly, Merli also sang as written.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 24 Jan 2016, 00:31

Aureliano, you're right of course and while I admire Pertile a great deal I think I have to select Merli on this occasion. I blame it on advanced years and/or too much/not enough Scottish Aqua Vita in my bloodstream. It's no fun gettin' old, believe me. Incidentally, I recall in the 1950's the 1929 version of Alessandro Valentehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0l2wO2jkqM was re-issued and very good it is too. Suddenly every tenor was belting it out.
Regards,
Geoff.

nhayes

Postby nhayes » 27 Jan 2016, 01:38

I saw Jussi Bjorling live at the Royal Festival Hall in London in 1953 - and the same year I saw Maria Callas and Ramon Vinay at Covent Garden in AIDA.
1953 was the year my London based Aunt introduced me to opera and I (and my wife) have been fortunate to see many world renowned tenors live (di Stefano, Peerce, Martinucci, Kenneth Collins, Carreras, Berti, McAlpine and many more - together with opera in many of the world's leading opera houses; including - Covent Garden, Saddlers Wells, La Scala, Verona (many times) Teatro dell'Opera, Baths of Caracalla, etc.
But we are really opera peasants and only go to operas that we love - mainly Verdi, Puccini and Mascagni, with Rusticana being by our favourite; and we've seen it four times live and have by far the best version on DVD.
Cheers from New Zealand - a country now seriously into opera production.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 02 Feb 2016, 01:43

Nice to see you posting, Neil. Just remember - before you get up each morning, reach for paper and read the obituaries. If we're not in them, then we can get up ! This 'nessun dorma' thingy could run and run but here is another one; Antonio Salvarezza, 1902 - 1985. Like many singers his career was interrupted by WWII and he was sufficiently good enough to partner many of the great names of his time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqCuSTfns
Regards,
Geoff.