Interesting rare Operas In My CD Collection

Discussion of all things opera: Wagner, Verdi, Toscanini, Zeffirelli, prelude, leitmotif, Regietheater, etc.
superhorn

Interesting rare Operas In My CD Collection

Postby superhorn » 22 Jan 2016, 19:08

I'm very interested in hearing operas outside the standard repertoire , and have learned that there are so many really interesting ones out there which deserve to be better known .
I have quite a few of these in my CD collection , and among them, in no particular order are :

Jonny Spielt Auf by Ernst Krenek . The Excursions of Mr. Broucek (bro-check) and Fate by Janacek . Armida and The Devil and Kate by Dvorak , The Devil's Wall, The Kiss , and Libuse by Smetana, (LEE-boo-sheh ) . Padmavati by Albert Roussel , Oedipe (Oedipus) by Gheorghe Enescu , Undine by Albert Lortzing, Der Vampyr by Heinrich Marschner, Palestrina by Hans Pfitzner ,
Kashchei the Immortal, Sadko, The Maid of Pskov , and The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh by Rimsky-Korsakov,
The Birds by Water Braunfels, Notre Dame by Franz Schmidt, Der Ferne Klang by Franz Schreker , Semyon Kotko by Prokofiev,
Saul & David by Carl Nielsen , Mazeppa by Tchaikovsky, Il Guarany by Brazilian composer Antonio Carlos Gomes ,
Antichrist by Danish composer Rued Langaard , The Charlatan by Czech composer Pavel Haas , Der Coregidor by Hugo Wolf ,
The Demon by Anton Rubinstein , The Barber of Bagdad by Peter Cornelius , Arlecchino by Ferrucio Busoni ,
Flammen by Erwin Schulhoff , Die Liebe der Danae and Friedenstag by Richard Strauss , Sancta Susanna by Hindemith .
I also have unusual operas on DVD such as Hindemith's Cardillac, Verdi's first opera Oberto, Maskarade by Carl Nielsen etc.

All these unusual operas have made my life much more interesting !

aulusagerius

Re: Interesting rare Operas In My CD Collection

Postby aulusagerius » 27 Feb 2016, 23:04

I like rare operas as well these days and have no interest in the war horses no matter who's singing in them. :x I have heard quite a few of the ones on your list.
One of the rarities I listened to lately and really liked is Don Checco of De Giosa. I would travel to see that one - but not as far as Martina Franca where I understand it was performed last year. Has anyone heard of a recording turning up? ;)

aulusagerius

Re: Interesting rare Operas In My CD Collection

Postby aulusagerius » 23 May 2016, 02:16

Malvina di Scozia by Giovanni Pacini.
Amleto by Franco Faccio.