Nicolai Gedda

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Opera Vivrà
Site Admin

Nicolai Gedda

Postby Opera Vivrà » 26 Feb 2016, 10:49

Opera Vivrà - o gioia!

Orestes

Re: Nicolai Gedda

Postby Orestes » 04 Mar 2016, 20:47

The most recorded tenor according to some sources.

His early recordings are a most delight to listen to. In particular, Der Barbier von Bagdad with Schwarzkopf is a given favorite in my record collection as is many of his Mozart and operetta recordings.

His voice seems to have gotten a more weary sound in the 1970s, but according to friends he was still very effective as Hoffmann when he was 65 years old.

Trickydicky1

Postby Trickydicky1 » 21 Mar 2016, 16:01

"The brainiest tenor who ever sang a top C and hung onto it" (source unknown :). I adored his singing in the 60s and the 70s - and found him convincing in all of the numerous styles and types of composition he sang in - let alone in the five or six languages which he didn't just sing, but apparently spoke either well or fluently.
The ease of the top of his voice was a revelation - which made his selection for the Paris version of Gluck's Orphee et Euridice a natural choice (anyone done this better, apart from Leopold Simoneau?)
He could turn on the passion, too, as evidenced by his recording of Don Jose in Carmen: light and lyrical at first, but increasingly dramatic as the opera develops.
I loved him singing Lieder, too, particularly Schumann (Mondnacht is a lesson in what mezza voce is all about). And the Rachmaninov songs with their astonishingly high tessitura in places.

Opera Vivrà
Site Admin

Postby Opera Vivrà » 11 Jul 2016, 09:15

Happy birthday to Nicolai Gedda!
Opera Vivrà - o gioia!

Jim

Postby Jim » 02 Aug 2016, 16:58

This guy was one of a cast that introduced me to opera in 1955 I think it was when I was only a scrap (I was 5 at the time). The opera was Faust and it was the first mono recording with Jean Borthayre as Valentin. I still have the records and they are nearly worn out at this stage.

I heard him sing here in Dublin in the 1970s I think it was (I would have to go back and check my programme). I am stating this from memory. The concert was an art song programme. My impression at the time was that this was the most nuanced and controlled singing I had ever heard from anyone.

He was also very intelligent in what he sang. I recall his explanation, both simple and to the point, of why he limited his foray into Wagner. The weight of tone required in the middle of the voice was not suitable for him and potentially damaging.

When he wasn't pushing his voice he had a lovely evenness of tone and an enormous upper range produced with little apparent effort.

Jim

Jim

Postby Jim » 12 Feb 2017, 18:05

At the age of 91 Harry Gadda passed away possibly on 8th January. He must be one of the last singers from a golden age of tenors. A voice of some weight with an unusually easy top. I heard him once live in concert and it was a revelation in vocal interpretation.

Jim

Darksoprano

Postby Darksoprano » 12 Apr 2017, 19:39

Gedda passed away??