Juan Diego Flórez

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Jimlejim

Juan Diego Flórez

Postby Jimlejim » 20 Apr 2017, 15:54

How talented is this guy? He's been doing these concerts for a while now, where he accompanies himself on guitar... and I think they're just fabulous. What do you guys think? I would like to see more intimate recitals and performances like this. I sometimes secretly prefer them over a full opera.
Tenor freak. :D

Jim

Re: Juan Diego Flórez

Postby Jim » 30 May 2017, 16:44

His tone does not have the 'warm' timbre which has come to be expected over the last one hundred years or so.

Nevertheless he has resurrected the category of male singer with the light flexible tone. Because it is not a big sound it needs to be very well projected. He achieves this in spades and this type of sound can be tiring on the listener after a while. Alfredo Kraus was similar in his projection.

I consider him very musical and it is no accident that he is one of the most sought after tenors around. In a recent concert he sang a repertoire mostly operatic. However in some instances he produced that relaxed sound shown in the video here.

I have not heard him, live, in the type of concert you describe, but I would like to.

Jim

Coinerulio

Postby Coinerulio » 11 Jul 2017, 16:31

I prefer my singers beefier, but I have to admit I love this sort of performance from talented opera singers. I wish they did more of that.

@Jim: better have a well projected voice than a "warm" woofy one...

Orestes

Postby Orestes » 15 Jul 2017, 15:45

Yes, this was a fine rendition. He has a certain charisma, it seems like he was born for the stage.

I also have problem with him on the opera stage. He's excellent in the Zurich production of Don Pasquale. But his tenorino voice has not much weight in it. I think he would be better off singing Bach cantatas rather than attempting spinto repertoire.