Who are your favorite opera singers?

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Darksoprano

Who are your favorite opera singers?

Postby Darksoprano » 13 May 2017, 12:40

Mine: Callas.

Vlamgat

Re: Who are your favorite opera singers?

Postby Vlamgat » 30 May 2017, 19:38

Just one???

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 30 May 2017, 23:05

(a) Jussi Bjorling (b) Jussi Bjoerling (to appease U.S. spelling).
Seriously, so far as tenors are concerned, Bjorling had his own pedestal and then there was the unforgettable Fritz Wunderlich but, there are so many to pick from. There are many who are just about forgotten, for instance, Rubin Dominguez, Roberto di Alessio, to name but two and I could go on and on. How about Virgilius Noreika, Lauritz Melchior? In many cases we can only speak from recordings, but from live performances I have to mention English tenor Charles Craig. I saw him many times, he really was superb. From the present generation, Joseph Calleja without a doubt. Then there's Mario Lanza! So very many, it's impossible to name them all.

Sopranos: Renata Tebaldi (I exclude Maria Callas who was unique - not a beautiful voice, but.... well, a legend), Regine Crespin, Rita Streich, Lucia Popp, Sumi Jo, Kathleen Battle (hell to work with I believe), Kiri te Kanawa, Marie Collier Joan Sutherland (very special), Luba Orgonasova, and one for whom I have a special affection, Rita Hunter. She had to be heard live. Worth twice her weight in gold and she was no lightweight, believe me. It's only the tip of the iceberg.

Mezzos: Fiorenza Cossotto, Fedora Barbieri, Giulietta Simionato, Elena Cernei (simply the best), but as I say, I could go on and on.

I'll draw a line here but there are baritones, bassos etc, etc. They all have my gratitude for so much pleasure they have given me, and will continue to do so.

Regards,
Geoff.

Vlamgat

Postby Vlamgat » 31 May 2017, 05:38

I would have to make two separate lists: Russian singers and Western singers. :)

Coinerulio

Postby Coinerulio » 11 Jul 2017, 16:53

Mario Filippeschi, because he was one of the most exciting tenors that ever graced this planet. Can't get enough of him.

Jim

Postby Jim » 11 Jul 2017, 18:24

A modern singer for a change.... Vivica Geneaux

Jim

antfreire

Postby antfreire » 12 Jul 2017, 19:42

Why no one ever asks "Who is your favorite Tristan, or Canio, or Rigoletto, or Desdemona, etc? No singer, no matter how good he is/was could have been the best at everything. We all consider Caruso to be the greatest tenor or among them, but how good was he at Guglielmo Tell or at Otello or at Sigfried?

Equaleet

Postby Equaleet » 12 Jul 2017, 20:06

antfreire wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 19:42
Why no one ever asks "Who is your favorite Tristan, or Canio, or Rigoletto, or Desdemona, etc? No singer, no matter how good he is/was could have been the best at everything. We all consider Caruso to be the greatest tenor or among them, but how good was he at Guglielmo Tell or at Otello or at Sigfried?
You should start new threads about that. I agree. Some singers, like Callas as Norma or Del Monaco as Canio, defined roles. That's the better question.

antfreire

Postby antfreire » 12 Jul 2017, 20:24

Well, let's do it like this. Who is your best interpreter of an operatic character. Example, to me Bjorling is the best Romeo. Warren is the best Count of Luna, Siepi is my favorite Don Giovanni.