Falsi Miti

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
TifosoBonisolli

Re: Falsi Miti

Postby TifosoBonisolli » 01 Feb 2016, 16:31

Geoff wrote:Now you know why !
Do I? I'm afraid I don't. You sound as if I had proposed a competition in drawing Muhammad cartoons... while I thought (and think) that my suggestion was actually quite innocent in comparison.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 02 Feb 2016, 00:06

I'm not biting, Mr. TifosiBonisolli, if you will pardon me, I don't appreciate personal comments directed at me - I have not been aggressive toward you or anyone else, nor will I be so - (incidentally, I share in your admiration for Franco Bonisolli) and I will post no more on this particular thread.
Regards,
Geoff.

Negenbari

Postby Negenbari » 20 Oct 2016, 22:59

A lot of the historic singers are falsi miti. Seriously. They were not that good. I can hear Caruso was special, but his faults were glaring too. We have to stop pretending all the old singers were gods and today's singers are awful.

Negenbari

Postby Negenbari » 20 Oct 2016, 23:00

Pantenor wrote:So who does everyone is the biggest false myth? Domingo is my number 1.
:D :D :D

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 22 Oct 2016, 16:03

The suggestion is ridiculous. The man has been at the top of his profession for over 40 years and justifiably so. One does not reach such levels by being a "false myth."

Just as ridiculous are some of the opinions that have been mooted on this thread. There is every right to voice such opinions of course, but please stay away from the profound nonsense.

Regards,
Geoff.

Orestes

Postby Orestes » 15 Jul 2017, 16:10

This thread is probably one of the best on this forum at this date.

Some falsi miti are more striking than others. Like Herva Nelli, one of Toscanini's favorite sopranos.

And I'm bound to agree with Domingo, to certain extent.
Domingo sang everywhere in his youth. He was acknowledged for his hard work already by his colleagues in the 1960s and learning roles on short notice, which is different from the situation the last 30 years. Domingo is clearly a myth in that sense, that he has become like a God. On his own website he calls himself "The King of Opera", " a true renaissance man of music", that he has sung more roles than anybody else etc.

Domingo was competent, and made some strong performances as well. But he was never a first rate conductor, a baritone, a great opera administrator - even though he was assigned these duties on the most prestigious venues. He has certainly, because of his fame been canonized by the Vatican Council of the opera.

LaGioconda

Postby LaGioconda » 15 Jul 2017, 16:44

I did open a can of worms, didn´t I? :-)
However, if we all can focuss on the topic and singers this can be an interesting discussion.
By "miti" I really meant the "sacred cows", the big league-singers, who in our opinion are not so sacred. - so I´d exclude the likes of Herva Nelli and others, who did have a respectable career but by no means were considered singers of real historic importance.
Domingo definitely in more recent (?) times. And I´m talking about his tenor career while the baritone thing doesn´t even deserve any comment. So much hype, so little output if you break it down to "only" his SINGING.
Jeritza is another one judging only from her records, Lily Pons! Furlanetto, Nucci, Bartoli more recently.

Orestes

Postby Orestes » 15 Jul 2017, 17:34

LaGioconda wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:44
I did open a can of worms, didn´t I? :-)
However, if we all can focuss on the topic and singers this can be an interesting discussion.
By "miti" I really meant the "sacred cows", the big league-singers, who in our opinion are not so sacred. - so I´d exclude the likes of Herva Nelli and others, who did have a respectable career but by no means were considered singers of real historic importance.
Domingo definitely in more recent (?) times. And I´m talking about his tenor career while the baritone thing doesn´t even deserve any comment. So much hype, so little output if you break it down to "only" his SINGING.
Jeritza is another one judging only from her records, Lily Pons! Furlanetto, Nucci, Bartoli more recently.
Truly. Sorry my bad!

There is two other divas that I have hard to understand based on solely their voice, namely Joan Sutherland and Edita Gruberova. Both did highly respectable work, but I think the proportions of their greatness has been exaggerated a little bit.

LaGioconda

Postby LaGioconda » 17 Jul 2017, 07:32

I hear regarding Gruberova. She always even in her prime - I heard her from the early 19980s on - was a singer with "Licht und Schatten". Some phrases which would send you to heaven followed by ones in bad taste. She definitely knows how to sing, I think it´s rather her taste of what she thinks is the right style that often fails her. For her that´s showing her "involvement"... However, when she was "on" and she got a phrase right, you knew. This is REAL singing.