Joseph Calleja's Che Gelida at the MET

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Jimlejim

Joseph Calleja's Che Gelida at the MET

Postby Jimlejim » 16 Jul 2017, 12:35

I think he has great improvements. This is a very nice rendition. Opinions?
Tenor freak. :D

LaGioconda

Re: Joseph Calleja's Che Gelida at the MET

Postby LaGioconda » 17 Jul 2017, 07:28

He´s in good voice here. Has not sounded so good in a lot of stuff I heard in the past two years. Terribly short-breathed, some breath-management issues - inhaling so much air, you see him pumping up his chest in many videos, but the breath lasts for such a short time when he sings - cut off phrases, little involvement. Some of his more recent role debuts did not sound this fine, either. Maybe he needs a lot of time to grow into a role. He certainly has grown into Rodolfo. But I wonder where he wants to go. Riccardo from London sounded a size large. The Roméo from Chicago sounded like a rough sketch. Cavaradossi I did not hear, Calaf to come.
The effortlessness of his singing and how he attacks the notes and his clean (often too "clean" phrasing) is still a blessing compared to the scooping, squeezing and pushing of many other tenors around. He´ll probably never be much of an actor. - He doesn´t need to be as long as he can "act" a role with his voice. - And there´s probably his greatest deficit. After all these years he still has not learnt to really work the text - he tries in roles he has sung for a long time, but still too little. If he really works on the phrasing, learns to creep into a role vocally, wrap it around him, act with the voice - then there might be some interesting things to come. Otherwise he will jest remain a good and correct singer with beautiful timbre and a sweeping voice.

Orestes

Postby Orestes » 17 Jul 2017, 11:44

He sings it competently.

He has a large voice, it's true, but he does not a real core. The way of just "sliding" up on la speranza is not the most exciting think. I agree with LaGioconda when it comes to his breath control, Calleja's Rodolfo at Covent Garden two years ago had those problems.

I have also problems with his vocal characterization. Rodolfo could be more passionate, as he is driven by emotions. Calleja's Rodolfo is a little bit meek and innocent. It is not always believeable that Calleja's Rodolfo would burn his own script, take Mimi's hand on their first meeting etc.

LaGioconda

Postby LaGioconda » 17 Jul 2017, 13:14

Well I wouldn´t say it´s a large voice, but an expansive voice which carries well, also his mezza voce and piani. I agree though, that it doesn´t have a real core, a good focus, a real density, grinta, bite, a natural metallic edge to soar over the orchestra. Thus, I find more dramatic roles problematic, because he will have to force.
Totally agree about the vocal characterization. And to think that Rodolfo is really his most "passionate" role.

Orestes

Postby Orestes » 17 Jul 2017, 15:30

LaGioconda wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 13:14
Well I wouldn´t say it´s a large voice, but an expansive voice which carries well, also his mezza voce and piani. I agree though, that it doesn´t have a real core, a good focus, a real density, grinta, bite, a natural metallic edge to soar over the orchestra. Thus, I find more dramatic roles problematic, because he will have to force.
Totally agree about the vocal characterization. And to think that Rodolfo is really his most "passionate" role.
Some shortcomings could also be a matter of preparation problems.

The Tamino aria is grateful for a lyric tenor, but here he breaths more often than he need. This results in some phrases becomes really explosive, and he even sings sharply. The German text does not at all seem important to him.

If he learns roles by singing along to recordings, rather than hammering the score with a piano, he might not have learned where it is proper to make a breath. Which would explain why his Che gelida maninas are so different from each others.

It is probable that he will go in to the direction of singing more dramatic parts. It seems like he added Don José recently.

FrancoFiglio

Postby FrancoFiglio » 19 Jul 2017, 17:42

Jimlejim wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 12:35

I think he has great improvements. This is a very nice rendition. Opinions?
Has been working with Jack Livigni in the past year. Interesting to hear this clip. Thanks for posting. While I'm not a real admirer of his singing (it lacks potency for what I would hope), I recognize he's improving and the sound is getting slightly more squillo based. Still goes into his nose in the pre-passaggio, but...whatever. He is doing better every time I hear him. Kudos to him.