Giorgio Zancanaro

Discussion of historic singers: Francesco Merli, Giuseppe De Luca, Richard Tauber, Conchita Supervía, etc.

Moderator: LaGioconda

venividivici

Giorgio Zancanaro

Postby venividivici » 13 Jan 2017, 00:18

Always surprised to hear how many opera fans have never heard of Giorgio Zancanaro; is it just the passage of time, relative lack of recordings, the lack of Metropolitan Opera dates or just that there were so many good baritones in the 1970s and 1980s when he was most active? (he was a contemporary of Milnes, Bruson, Cappuccilli and later, Nucci)

Anyhow, it is great to see his growing following here in the Youtube era, where many live recordings and videos long forgotten are available to be sampled. He was very underrated, and second to none in virtually every Verdi baritone role. (And a few others)

Jim

Re: Giorgio Zancanaro

Postby Jim » 13 Jan 2017, 08:27

Very fine baritone. I seem to remember he was a late comer to singing. Did he not start off as something like a postman? He does not seem to have been in the public eye as much as some others.

It has to be said that baritones have the same problem as women singers. There is an abundance of them and the field is very competitive. Less so for Tenors and Basses.

Of the list you provide Renato Bruson is, I think, slightly older but seemed to sing on longer. One of the last of that era Leo Nucci is still singing and, although a bit younger than Domingo, singing beautifully.

Jim

venividivici

Postby venividivici » 13 Jan 2017, 22:47

Jim wrote:Very fine baritone. I seem to remember he was a late comer to singing. Did he not start off as something like a postman?
He was a policeman who made his professional debut at 30. (It's been said he had no formal training, but I doubt very much that is true.) He did not sing in the U.S. very much, partly because he had persistent inner ear problems made worse by flying, but also because (like Cappuccili and Bruson) he had contractual disputes with the Met. He was better known to opera goers in Europe and London.

Although there are more baritones out there, I have to wonder today WHERE are all the good ones? Quite honestly, Zeljko Lucic is the only one I find listenable on the same level as even the least of the 1970s and 1980s baritones.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 26 Jan 2017, 16:37

A very fine Baritone indeed, with an excellent career to his credit. A police motorcyclist, if I've got it right and it wasn't unknown for him to ride his bike at high speeds to make it to the theatre on time. He was and still is a favourite of mine, from the very beginning of his career.
Regards,
Geoff.

castellomatese

Postby castellomatese » 12 Jul 2017, 20:21

Excellent singer! Probably my favorite from this period is Cappuccilli, a superb Verdi singer. I regret that I never heard him live...

Vlamgat

Postby Vlamgat » 12 Aug 2017, 05:32

Have his disc: