What singers do you consider an acquired taste?

Discussion of contemporary singers: Jonas Kaufmann, Juan Diego Flórez, Anna Netrebko, etc.
Jimlejim

What singers do you consider an acquired taste?

Postby Jimlejim » 30 Aug 2017, 01:56

Here's one I'll start with: Giacomo Lauri-Volpi.
Tenor freak. :D

Geoff

Re: What singers do you consider an acquired taste?

Postby Geoff » 30 Aug 2017, 23:09

I suppose we all have our preferences and I shall have to give it more thought, but for me I could never understand the accolades given to Birgit Nilsson with regard to her singing of dramatic Verdi (i.e. Aida). Her Wagner was more acceptable but she was never a favourite of mine. When it comes to baritones, this may be akin to heresy but I never quite gelled to Fischer-Dieskau either.
Regards,
Geoff.

Jim

Postby Jim » 06 Sep 2017, 21:18

Fischer-Dieskau I do like, but not in Verdi. His sound was rather soft grained and not suitable for Verdi, in my view. i have the same opinion relating to Thomas Hampson. I do not like him in Verdi or Rossini either, but do in Artsong.

I suppose I am in a small minority but could never enjoy the sound of Maria Callas. I always considered her sound to be more natural on the mezzo side. The squawking above the stave I find difficult to listen to. I do not however deny her greatness. There is more to singing than a great voice, and Callas is an excellent example of this. Not for me, however.

Of current tenors Jonal Kaufman and Ramon Vargas leave me a little cold. I have commented on the former before and the latter's sound seems too featureless to me.

In terms of acquiring a taste for a singer I have to say that initially I struggled a little with the fast vibrato in the voice of Joseph Calleja. Now, however, I very much enjoy his singing and have quite a few of his CDs.

Jim

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 07 Sep 2017, 23:37

It seems to me Jim, that we're the only ones contributing, but never mind. I agree with you about Maria Callas. I never found her voice to be a thing of beauty and her upper register with squawks and wobbles makes me wince but she was truly a one-off. Probably her best years were the 1940's but her place in opera history is well deserved and assured. (Here I digress, when I recall the great, and hugely funny Anna Russell and her quote - " No voice, but great artistry"). Not applicable to Maria Callas of course, by any means).
To move on; I have some admiration for German tenor Josef Traxel even though his voice sounds 'white' to me. It does not have the ring about it of a Wunderlich, therefore an acquired taste. Richard Tauber has my admiration even though he may be an acqured taste but I defer to Swiss tenor Ernst Herbert Groh, who does appeal to me even though he and Tauber had the same teacher and he can sound very much like Tauber.
When it comes to the ladies I find that I find Fiorenza Cossotto is a rather acqured taste (a difficult persona, I understand), but Fedora Barbieri in the same roles is far more effective. I tend to the view that many current mezzo-sopranos are too light vocally, but what do I know? The whole thread comes down to personal preferences.
Oh well, I'm showing my age !
I suppose we could go on and on, but for me it's bed time !
Regard, Geoff.

LaGioconda

Postby LaGioconda » 14 Sep 2017, 16:55

just throwing in some names which come to my mind on first thought.
Martinelli, De Lucia, Callas, too, Caruso to a certain extent, Melba, Vanni MArcoux.

Jim

Postby Jim » 16 Sep 2017, 17:43

I must say I personally like both Martinelli and Melba.

De Lucia is definitely and acquired taste. His nineteenth century style and production is not imitated today and would probably not be tolerated. Nevertheless I am fascinated by his style and listen to him more as an excercise in decorated line.

I am delighted that someone else mentioned Caruso. He has never been my favourite tenor and I found some of his singing stentorian and effortfull. I also consider much of the repertoire unsuited to the weight and darkness of his sound.

I have not really considered Marcaux much in the past but the sound is bass baritone and light. It may be that his voice was unsuited to recording.

Jim

Vlamgat

Postby Vlamgat » 17 Sep 2017, 07:30

I think that most Soviet opera singers are an acquired taste.
It is one of the three:
A thing that you really get right from the beginning and then can appreciate it/ miss the whole thing and think it is weird and useless/ just ignoring it as if it didn't exist

LaGioconda

Postby LaGioconda » 18 Sep 2017, 06:22

Jim,
don´t get me wrong. I have COME to love all of them. - Maybe for Melba it´s more respect than love, though.
Would not want to live without any of them. Just saying, that in their cases, it was a longer process rather than love at first "hearing"... :-)

Jim

Postby Jim » 21 Sep 2017, 15:53

"Would not want to live without any of them." I agree with this La Gioconda. Indeed with Caruso I have all of his output and do still listen to him frequently.
My comments, however, are to indicate that I do not idolise his singing as so many seem to have done in the past. I mentioned some of the reasons already. Another is that I like my tenors to sound like tenors. While Placido Domingo sounds like a tenor singing in the baritone range Caruso's sound was indistinguishable from that of a baritone with some upper extension. Too many singers tried to imitate his technique and timbre, and not to good effect.
Jim

CVAULT1

Postby CVAULT1 » 21 Sep 2017, 17:35

I think Giovanni Martinelli is an acquired taste, with his reedy delivery, as well as Giuseppe Morino, who has such a bleat to his voice, he makes Allessandro Bonci sound like he has a straight tone.