Non-Operatic voices

Forum for singers about singing life, career and singing technique: management, taxes, auditions, appoggio, covering, messa di voce, placement, registers, etc.
Geoff

Non-Operatic voices

Postby Geoff » 31 May 2016, 22:18

I think that ninety percent of of Opera Vivra members unconditionally accept that the site (and the forum) is focussed on operatic voices. That's fair enough - that's what it's all about, but I'm bound to say that very many fine professional voices do not look to make their living solely in opera, which can be precarious in more ways than one. (For example that very fine Australian bass Peter Dawson). Many singers choose to include secular music, oratorio or purely concert work which may or may not include many very fine deliveries of operatic arias depending on their audiences who may not be exclusively operatically motivated but who still have a love of fine singing. My question is this: does the forum agree/disagree that predominately non-operatic voices have a place for discussion in this forum ? I hope so, but..........
Regards,
Geoff.

CVAULT1

Re: Non-Operatic voices

Postby CVAULT1 » 02 Jun 2016, 00:19

Fine voices from those who didn't spend all their time in opera seem appropriate. Superb artists like Marian Anderson or Sergio Franchi would certainly fall into that niche.

Jim

Postby Jim » 02 Jun 2016, 16:27

That is an interesting one Geoff. I think that Emma Kirkby comes into this category. The question is, do Cecilia Bartoli and Julie Andrews qualify.

Emma Kirkby has a facility for early music and has a very well controlled technique. The trouble is that she would not be considered by some to have a 'real voice'. She has a very fine voice which is eminently suited to her chosen repertoire. The other singer in Ms Kirkby's area is Elly Ameling.

I am interested in the response to the other two though.

Jim

Jim

Postby Jim » 07 Jun 2016, 11:09

Not much activity here. Here is another one Gerard Souzay. A wonderful exponent of song with a very clear sound. Reminds me a little bit of Mattia Battistini. Did not sing that much opera.

Jim

Pawelot

Postby Pawelot » 10 Jun 2016, 15:21

I don't like my Italian opera in German, but this rendition by Peter Anders, while not exactly sounding like that of arugged dockworker, is very interesting and intelligent. A favorite.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 10 Jun 2016, 23:11

Thank you Pawel - I agree. However Peter Anders is hardly a non-operatic voice, in fact he's very much excellently (!) operatic to my mind. I was interested in the voices you mentioned Jim. Certainly Emma Kirkby is such a voice. A very accomplished singer indeed and one I would include her in this category. The mention of Cecilia Bartoli raised my eyebrows as I regard her as very much an operatic voice whose unique talents (and no doubt financial security) have allowed her to stray into the non-operatic or remote baroque arenas with considerable success. Her operatic successes have allowed her to indulge herself I suppose. I like Bartoli. The mention of Julie Andrews didn't so much as raise my eyebrows too much - I was busy shuddering from the length of my spine to my toes! Now Gerard Souzay is really something else. Non-operatic in essense but a truly superb baritone and very much admired. Now here I open a can of worms ! How about the remarkable and thrilling Mario Lanza ? Without a shadow of doubt the possessor of a stupendous operatic tenor voice to make any opera impresario reach for his chequebook. BUT - apart from a brief sojourn into opera very early in his career, he stuck to concerts and films, and why not ? That's where the money was and while his concerts were mainly of operatic arias, I have to regard him as a 'non-operatic voice.' I can already hear the cries of 'heresy' but he never really proved himself in opera as such although he could quite easily have done so had he been prepared to submit to the discipline that opera requires. His early death leaves so many questions unanswered.
Moving on, I was thinking of for example, the likes of Axel Schiotz, Robert White, ( and numerous English voices of the early 20th Century when English opera didn't flourish and singers had to make their livings in concert or oratio - a typically abhorrent upper class English reaction to the profession of singing.) I'll stick one or two vocal examples on the thread once I've remembered how to do it !!
Regards,
Geoff.

Pawelot

Postby Pawelot » 12 Jun 2016, 11:11

I posted in the wrong thread. I meant to post here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=147&p=687#p687

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 14 Jun 2016, 23:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeJK3VpL0h0 Robert White, non-operatic but a very operatic aria.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeJK3VpL0h0 Aksel Schiotz. Started out as a tenor but settled into a light baritone. This is Mozart singing of very high quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6joRbAw5-A Eugenia Miroshnychenko. Why is she here you may ask ? Apart from the fact that she's pretty stupendous, that's it ! A voice that I've been too idle to research further but my interest has been piqued !
Regards,
Geoff.

Darksoprano

Postby Darksoprano » 29 Jun 2016, 18:23

I like to listen to divas...

Jim

Postby Jim » 21 Aug 2016, 20:01

I agree with you Geoff concerning Mario Lanza. Magnificent voice, if slightly raw at the edges and I see nothing wrong in the career path he chose. I think he was due to perform again possibly in Carmen when he passed on. My memory is not what it was.

A voice I have always liked is Kenneth McKellar's. A non-operatic voice notwithstanding the fact that he did sing in Rossini early in his career.

Sacrilege I suppose having a Scot singing an Irish song. Unaccompanied as well. The story is that this was recorded in one take without practice.

Shirley Bassey's voice would have been a good operatic contralto, possibly. Though nowadays probably mezzo soprano.

I take your point Geoff about Cecilia Bartoli. I included her here because she is largely a musical archeologist with a small instrument not suited to the romantic repertoire but yes it is opera she sings.
Jim