Butchering the National Anthem

Comments and suggestions for the website and forum.
CVAULT1

Butchering the National Anthem

Postby CVAULT1 » 23 Feb 2016, 01:21

For some time, I have had this stuck in my craw: why do we need to have some popsy-wopsy mediocre "talent" destroying our national anthem just about every time it is performed? Some no-talent schmuck gets hired to make it their next hip-hop hit, and 80% of the time, they don't even know the words, and can't manage to get beyond their 4-note range to sing it. There are music schools, universities with music departments, military bases with choral groups close to about every place there is a sports stadium or large performing arena. Why then do we have to have someone who is totally unable to perform this without turning it into a travesty? I have lived in countries where you would have your butt tromped into the ground or thrown in jail for butchering the national anthem the way it is done here. Shame on us all for allowing this.

Geoff

Re: Butchering the National Anthem

Postby Geoff » 24 Feb 2016, 15:23

I agree. I note that you say, 'the way it is done here'. Where is 'here' please ?
Regards,
Geoff

CVAULT1

Postby CVAULT1 » 24 Feb 2016, 16:28

"Here" is the United States.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 24 Feb 2016, 22:43

Thanks for that. I quite understand your feelings on this subject and perhaps it's because the pop culture is so strong in the U.S. that the organisers of your big sporting events feel that they have to have a big 'pop' name that the U.S. public in general can identify with. You are not on your own, it's becoming more noticeable in the same way with our National Anthem here in the UK. A deplorable state of affairs - we're in agreement.
Regards,
Geoff